0

Value Exchange Tool: For Building Business-Nonprofit Partnerships that Last

This simple method considers what a partner could potentially contribute, stacks up what a potential partner brings, and represents the value exchange at the heart of the partnership — in a single visual.







0

Participate: The Power of Involving Business in Social Impact Networks

If you are involved in a collective effort to address a large-scale social challenge and are wondering how companies could play a meaningful role, this handbook is for you. It is a companion to ENGAGE: How Funders Can Support and Leverage Networks for Social Impact, a resource for philanthropic funders considering whether a social impact network might be the right investment; and if so, what kind of network to engage with, and what role to play. Building on that guidance, this handbook focuses on the particular models for building social impact networks that engage the private sector. Why would a Read more





0

What’s Next for Philanthropy?

The world around philanthropy is changing much, much faster than philanthropy itself. An intimidating range of forces–globalization, shifting sectoral roles, economic crisis, and new technologies–are changing both what philanthropy is called upon to do, and how donors and foundations will accomplish their work in the future. For philanthropic and civic leaders looking to cultivate change in today’s rapidly shifting landscape, simply tweaking the status quo won’t be enough. Funders will have to pioneer “next practices”–effective approaches that are well-suited to tomorrow’s more networked, dynamic, and interdependent context. With this in mind, Monitor Institute is pleased to announce the publication of Read more





0

The Strategy Landscape

Given the scale and complexity of the challenges they face, foundations increasingly need to look beyond their organizations to other stakeholders–both in philanthropy and across sectors–to mobilize sufficient resources and effort to move the needle on pressing social problems. Yet working together remains a challenge: simply knowing what other funders are supporting can require time-consuming research, meetings, and calls. As one foundation executive recently explained, “When funders come together for a day to talk about an issue, we spend 80 percent of the time talking about what we do, which leaves us with only 20 percent of the day to Read more





0

The Strategic Plan is Dead. Long Live Strategy.

Take a moment and read these two words: strategic plan. Now close your eyes and picture one. If what comes up is a thick binder, gathering dust on a shelf next to other thick binders from five and ten years past, you’re not alone. We believe that a better understanding of the history of strategy and what caused the demise of binder-bound strategic planning can point the way to re-inventing strategy for the world we live in today.





0

What’s Next for Community Philanthropy?

The world is changing rapidly. Inescapable demographic, technological, economic, environmental, and social trends are reshaping our communities and altering the landscape of philanthropy. Keeping pace will be a challenge for community philanthropy: in today’s rapidly changing context, the systems that are helping community philanthropy organizations thrive right now may not meet the needs of their users in the future. Yet the status quo is not an option. Place by place, community philanthropy organizations will need to figure out what to hold onto, what to let go of, and what to create a new to better meet the evolving needs of Read more